Saturday, July 14, 2012

TIRAMISU CAKE POPS

I guess it was about seven months ago when I bought a Babycakes Cake Pop Maker and really enjoyed how easy--and quick--it was to make a batch of cake on a stick.  Or without a stick!  I didn't seem to care that I was taking the easy way out and didn't really feel that I was missing anything by having never made cake pops the original way.  And then I attempted to make strawberry cake pops the original way . . . bake a box of strawberry cake mix, crumble it, add strawberry frosting, roll into balls, insert stick with a little melted chocolate on the end, freeze for a short while, and then dip into melted chocolate.  What a major flop that was!  Of course, it was after the flop that I read of a measurement of frosting to add to the crumbled cake--1/2 cup--and I had used the whole stinkin' can!  After that, I resumed using the Babycakes Cake Pop Maker when I wanted a little sweetness, but I decided that I *had* to try the original method once more after my husband and son treated me to a Tiramisu cake pop from Starbuck's on our way to the beach last month.  O.M.G.  That was Heaven on a stick, I tell ya!  On Thursday, my sister, nephew, son, and I took a day trip to the mountains where I purchased some chocolate-covered Espresso beans, and I made these cake pops last night.  Success!!!!  They are soooooooooooooo yummy, and I think they look good, too!  I know that I don't have to tell on myself, but my guys literally cringe when they hear me mention that I want to make anything tiramisuish.  And there's a good reason for this.  Several years ago, I decided that I would make Tiramisu.  I didn't realize that I had done anything wrong until the dessert was a disaster.  I started reviewing the recipe and . . . BAM! (hand slaps forehead) . . . I had poured in a whole bottle of Rum flavor.  While mixing the ingredients, I read the correct ingredient but the wrong measure.  I remembered measuring 1/4 cup of Rum flavor and wondered why the recipe didn't just say to pour in the whole bottle since that's how much it took.  Of course, the recipe called for a fraction of a teaspoon!  I might never live down the Rum flavor, but my Tiramisu cake pops got high-fives from my guys!

2 comments:

Ariel said...

LOL, Regina. You sound like me in the kitchen--when I mess something up, I mess it up good. :-)
These little cake pops look very tasty, and pretty. I also didn't know there was a measurement to the icing in the cake balls. thanks for that. Maybe that would explain a few things....

Laura Lipe, Pisgah Forest, NC said...

These look and sound delicious. I want the recipe, so share with me!! Yes, Ariel, I used only 1/2 a can/container of the icing and it worked out perfectly on my cake pops. I thought you, Ariel, were the one who told me that. Oh, well......
Smiles, Laura